EOC announces European Games 2023 Coordination Commission
The EOC has announced the composition of the Coordination Commission for the European Games Krakow Malopolska 2023, featuring highly experienced leaders from across the Olympic Movement. The announcement follows the major milestone of the Host City and Region Contract signing last month, and comes as the 1 Year To Go countdown (21 June) approaches.
The Commission will be led by EOC Executive Committee (ExCo) Member Hasan Arat, with fellow ExCo member and Croatian Olympic Committee President Zlatko Mateša, and former EOC Vice President Niels Nygaard both serving as Vice Chairs. IOC Member and Ukrainian Olympic Committee President Sergii Bubka, who published the following statement after the Host City Region Contract signing, is 1 of 13 NOC Presidents on the Commission.
EOC President Spyros Capralos said, “Finalising the composition of the Coordination Commission is another important step in the preparation of the European Games and builds on the positive momentum of the Host City and Region Contract signing last month. Each member on the Commission brings their own expertise and experiences, meaning we have a well-balanced group that will help the EOC and the local organising committee deliver a spectacular third edition of Europe’s premier sport event.”
Athlete representatives on the Commission include EOC Athletes’ Commission Chair Gerd Kanter and IOC Athletes’ Commission member and Polish two-time Olympic silver medallist Maja Martyna Włoszczowska. Octavian Morariu, President of Rugby Europe, is the third IOC Member serving on the Commission.
Morariu is joined by four other European Federation Presidents, who will bring expertise and insights from the perspective of the EOC’s federation partners. The four individuals are European Athletics President Dobromir Karamarinov, Union Cycliste Européenne (UEC) President Enrico Della Casa, Ligue Européenne de Natation (LEN) President António José Silva (POR), and European Canoe Association (ECA) President Albert Woods.
Coordination Commission Chair Hasan Arat, who is also Vice-President of the Turkish Olympic Committee, added, “We have selected a Coordination Commission that includes every stakeholder in the Games, and we therefore have confidence that we can deliver for athletes, NOCs, federations, and the local communities in Poland. We have plenty of work ahead, but this is another step in the right direction as we strive to stage an event that gives today’s athletes the opportunity to flourish, whilst inspiring the future generation to reach for their dreams.”
Polish Olympic Committee President and EOC ExCo member Andrzej Kraśnicki said, “We are very pleased with the line-up of the Coordination Commission and the wide-ranging skills each member brings. Under the guidance of Chair Hasan Arat and EOC President Spyros Capralos, we believe the Commission is a recipe for success! Together with our local organising committee and the Polish Olympic Committee, we remain on course to set a sustainable blueprint for future of this great event!”
The third edition of the European Games will take place in Kraków and the regions of Małopolska and Śląsk in Poland from 21 June – 2 July 2023.
European Games Krakow Malopolska 2023 Coordination Commission
- Mr Hasan ARAT (TUR) – Vice President, Turkish Olympic Committee/EOC Executive Committee Member
- Mr Zlatko MATEŠA (CRO) – President, Croatian Olympic Committee/EOC Executive Committee Member
- Mr Niels NYGAARD (DEN) – Former EOC Vice President and Acting President
- Ms Yael ARAD (ISR) – President, Israeli Olympic Committee
- Mr Mats ÅRJES (SWE) – President, Swedish Olympic Committee
- Mr Alejandro BLANCO (ESP) – President, Spanish Olympic Committee
- Mr Sergii BUBKA (UKR) – President, Ukrainian Olympic Committee/IOC Member
- Mr Enrico DELLA CASA (ITA) – President, Union Européenne de Cyclisme (UEC)
- Mr Daniel DIMEWSKI (MKD) – President, Olympic Committee of North Macedonia
- Mr Zsolt GYULAY (HUN) – President, Hungarian Olympic Committee
- Ms Brigitte HENRIQUES (FRA) – President, French Olympic Committee
- Mr Gerd KANTER (EST) – Chair, EOC Athletes’ Commission
- Mr Dobromir KARAMARINOV (BUL) – President, European Athletics (EA)
- Ms Sarah KEANE (IRL) – President, Irish Olympic Committee
- Mr Roman KUMPOŠT (CZE) – Vice President, Czech Olympic Committee
- Mr Jozef LIBA (SVK) – Secretary General, Slovak Olympic Committee
- Ms Iwona ŁOTYSZ (POL) – Deputy Secretary General, Polish Olympic Committee
- Princess MARIA-ANUNCIATA of LIECHTENSTEIN (LIE) – Vice President, Liechtenstein Olympic Committee
- Mr Octavian MORARIU (ROU) – President, Rugby Europe/IOC Member
- Ms Monika OLSZEWSKA (POL) – Director, Coordination Office for the European Games 2023/Ministry of State Assets
- Sir Hugh ROBERTSON (GBR) – Chairman, British Olympic Committee
- Mr Jean-Michel SAIVE (BEL) – President, Belgian Olympic Committee
- Mr António José SILVA (POR) – President, Ligue Européenne de Natation (LEN)
- Mr Thomas WEIKERT (GER) – President, German Olympic Committee
- Ms Maja Martyna WŁOSZCZOWSKA (POL) – IOC Member, two-time Olympic silver medallist
- Mr Albert WOODS (GBR) – President, European Canoe Association (ECA)
- Ms Anneke Van ZANEN-NIEBERG (NED) – President, National Olympic Committee of Netherlands