EOC announces finalists for 11th Summer Edition of the Piotr Nurowski Prize
The European Olympic Committees (EOC) is delighted to announce the five finalists of the 11th Summer Edition of the Piotr Nurowski Prize (PNP) for the Best European Young Athlete.
Of the five finalists, three were chosen by the European NOCs and two were nominated by the EOC panel of experts (EOC President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary General, Sports Director and Chair of the EOC Athletes’ Commission).
The five finalists are:
- Ms Daria ATMANOV (ISR) – Rhythmic Gymnastics
- Atmanov won gold medals in the women’s ball and ribbon events at the World Games Birmingham 2022 and became the women’s all-around champion at the Rhythmic Gymnastics European Championships 2022 on home soil in Tel Aviv. The Israeli athlete also won three silver medals in the hoop, clubs and ribbon disciplines at the European Championships Munich 2022.
- Mr Filippo BERTONI (ITA) – Swimming
- Bertoni won gold medals in the boy’s 200m and 1500m individual freestyle events at the EYOF Banská Bystrica 2022 to add to the gold medal he secured in the 4x100m freestyle relay. He also contributed to the Italian team winning a gold medal in the boy’s 4x200m freestyle relay at the European Junior Swimming Championships Otopeni 2022.
- Ms Sofia DALIDOU (GRE) – Rowing
- Dalidou secured gold in the women’s double sculls event at the World Rowing U19 Championships Varese 2022. The Greek rower and her teammate broke the world record in a junior women’s double sculls event on their way to victory with a time of 6:57.40. She also won gold in the same event at the European U19 Rowing Championships 2022, again held in Varese.
- Ms Andrea SPENDOLINI-SIRIEIX (GBR) – Diving
- Spendolini-Sirieix took home two Commonwealth Games gold medals after highly impressive performances in the women’s 10m platform and the 10m platform mixed synchro events in Birmingham this year. She also claimed a bronze medal in the mixed 3m & 10m team event at the FINA World Aquatics Championships Budapest 2022. The young British athlete also secured gold in the women’s 10m platform and the 10m platform synchro events at the European Championships Munich 2022.
- Ms Angelina TOPIC (SRB) – Athletics
- Topic won gold in the girl’s high jump at the European Athletics U18 Championships Jerusalem 2022. She added bronze medals to her impressive collection during the World U20 Championships Cali 2022 and the European Championships Munich 2022. In Munich, she became the youngest ever medallist in the history of the event.
The winner of the 11th Summer Edition of the Piotr Nurowski Prize will be voted for during the EOC Seminar in Olympia (GRE) on 30 September 2022. The Award Ceremony will be held in the evening on the same day, where the winner will be announced. All five finalists will be invited to Olympia.
The winners of the previous PNP summer editions can be found here.